Bedding Elements 101

Beddings Blanket Comforter Sets Duvet mattress Pillow

Looking for that specific piece of bedding element but don’t know what to call it? Are you getting confused with all the terms that merchants throw at you? Then look no further. We’ll provide you with the names, definition, and basic information of each piece of bedding, all in one guide to make things easier for you.

Sheets and Blankets

Bed Skirt – a decorative piece of fabric that is used to cover the legs and boxpsring of the bed. It is placed between the mattress and the boxspring and extends down to the floor.

Bedspread – a decorative bed cover with sides that can extend to the floor. It protects beddings, and even pillows, from dust and other contaminants.

Blanket – a large woven piece of cloth that is used for warmth.

Bottom Sheet – see Fitted Sheet

Comforter – a bigger, thicker version of a blanket but is not exceptionally fluffy. It is best paired with a bed skirt or top cover.

Coverlet – similar to a bedspread but does not extend up to the floor and does not cover pillows.

Duvet – an even fluffier version of a comforter but not as flat. It is typically filled with down, feathers, or a combination of both.

Duvet Cover – a decorative and protective covering for a duvet. It works like a pillowcase, but for duvets.

Feather Bed – a piece of fabric that contains feathers and lies on top of a mattress. It normally has elastic straps or even a fitted sheet so it fits over a mattress and stays in place.

Flat Sheet – sometimes called top sheet; it is usually tucker in around the mattress, over the fitted sheet with the fourth side at the head of the bed, undone.

Fitted Sheet – a piece of fabric that usually has elastic bands to fit over a mattress. It is available in different sizes, depending on the size and depth of mattresses.

Mattress Pad - typically used above the mattress and beneath a bottom sheet to add comfort.

Mattress Protector – it is used directly above the mattress for protection against allergens and also serves to protect the mattress itself from stains.

Quilt – similar to a comforter; it is a type of blanket that contains batting between two sheets and are stitched together. Patchwork quilts piece together multiple pieces of fabric to make one of the outer layers of cloth.

Throw Blanket – typically smaller than a regular blanket. It is used to add extra warmth at the foot of the bed or shoulder area.

Top Sheet – See Flat Sheet



Bolster – often cylindrical in shape. It is filled with down, feathers, or a combination of both and is typically used for lumbar support but is now commonly-used as a decorative piece.

Boudoir- similar to throw pillows but rectangular in shape.

European Pillow – a large square pillow that is often placed at the back near the headboard as a decorative piece.

European Sham – a decorative pillow covering, or pillowcase, that fits the large 29” x 29” European pillows.

Neck Roll – small, cylindrical pillows that are often used to support the spine through the shoulders. Similar in shape to a bolster but is considerably smaller in size.

Sleeping Pillow – a typical pillow; a medium-sized rectangular pillow that is often used for sleeping.

Throw Pillow – decorative pillows, typically square-shaped, but is also available in other shapes and sizes.


Older Post Newer Post